Monday, February 3, 2014

Where has tradition gone???

I was ENRAGED to hear that the Pope has a Facebook account and blogs. I was raised a Roman Catholic and I believe in the traditional practices. To me the Pope is supposed to be at the Vatican practicing our Religion. I think it is morally wrong and goes against everything that the Pope engages with online profiles. And if he has someone maintaining them I think it's worst because they are not his words. Technology has gone too far if our Religious practices are being influenced...... Just my thoughts on last classes conversations...

1 comment:

  1. It's a fascinating point that you raise. I think it would be problematic if the Pope were to spend his days as an ordinary Facebook user -- but his page, like those of other public figures, is used mainly to convey news, and (in the Pope's case) to spread the gospel. And to me, this seems entirely in accord with Christian teachings, as in Matthew Chapter Five: "“Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Now, admittedly, Facebook is a very different sort of "candle"! But it seems to me that Christ's injunction is to spread the Gospel by the most public and visible means available, and so perhaps it fits the bill.

    ReplyDelete